Monday, August 17, 2009

To your own self be true!

I have often said on more than one occassion that I will never make mother of the year. I never got the "manual" on how to raise my children without error, or how to be a model mom. I have always said - I am doing the best I can and that's all I have to offer. I love my children unconditionally, I like them as people and I hope that as I age I can honestly say that we have a mutual respect for one another. Well this weekend it was apparent that I was not popular with any of them. I reminded my eldest of an outstanding debt - she got ticked at me. I was absent (with an explanation) for my middle child's birthday dinner and as for child #3 - well we always seem to be at opposite ends of the playing field. No matter how I tried - I could not get any of them to understand my point of view....and probably never will.....but birthday dinner happend last evening with little incident. 2 of the 3 seem to be okay with me but I fear that child #1 is obviously ANGRY at me. Each of them think that they can voice their desire for me to act or behave a certain way. Little do they realize that at my age of close to 50 - it is highly unlikely for me to change my behaviour. If I truly dislike someone and or their behaviour - little is going to make that change. Call the family disfunctional - we are one of millions who are the same. We are not the Cleavers, but we're also not the Simpsons...we are somewhere in the middle...each of us unique but special in our own way. I have never voiced my opinion over and over and over again about "you should learn to get along"...."they're family". Well years ago I thought it was best to tollerate someone for the good of the family or to make everyone happy....hello....now I'm doing whats good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment